West Sea Company

SPECIALS:

Prices in U.S. Dollars are listed in GREEN.



1.78 SHIP PORTRAIT. Lovely, colorful and very dramatic rendering of a full-rigged 3-masted ship under sail off the coast with shipping in the background. The detailed image depicts crewmen on deck taking in the top gallant sail on the foremast. An owner’s flag showing a “Y” on a blue field flies from the main. The ship with clipper bow slices through a choppy green sea while lovely billowing clouds float in an azure sky. Varnished lithography on heavy paper. The oval format measures 15 ¼ by 11 ¼ inches sight, housed in an older contemporary gilt frame with ornate floral corners, 20 by 16 ½ inches. Very pleasing old looking condition with just enough distress to accurately mimic a 19th century painting. WAS $995 SOLD



detail
back


1.23 OIL PAINTING ON GLASS. J. Bell, English, late 19th century, oil on milkglass commemorative painting of the early steamer identified as “S.S. New England, Liverpool” in fancy lettering on the encircling life ring. This genuine ship’s portrait is very detailed and colorfully presented, “framed” within a classic old life ring, adorned with garlands and a ship’s mast with the vessel’s house flag. The portrait depicts the vessel flying the American flag from the foremast and the British ensign at the stern. The painting itself measures 9 ½ by 11 ½ inches sight. It is housed in its original carved walnut frame with gilt liner under old wavy glass secured with square nails. The frame measures 14 ¼ inches wide by 15 ¼ inches high. Outstanding original condition in all respects! A delightful presentation. Was $1395 NOW! 795


detail
super detail

back

Order Info



1.46 AMERICAN ETCHING. Charles J. A. Wilson, American, (1880-1965) detailed rendering of the passenger steamer LOUISE under full steam, heading out to sea. This precise etching is pencil titled lower left in the artist’s own hand “Louise of Baltimore” and is pencil signed lower right “CJA Wilson” with his monogram just above. The coastal steamer with early rocking beam engine and huge smoke stack is depicted loaded with sightseers on deck as flags and pennants proudly fly in the stiff breeze. It is shown passing a can buoy to starboard, while a tramp steamer is seen making the harbor entrance in the background. This etching is done on high quality rag paper and measures 4 ½ by 6 inches sight with an overall dimension of 6 ¾ by 8 ¾ inches. Perfect original condition. Was $295 NOW! 95

Charles J. A. Wilson, Scottish-American (1880-1965) was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1880. At age one his family immigrated to Duluth, Minnesota. As a teenager, Wilson moved to Newton, Massachusetts where he began his self-taught career as a painter of ships in Boston Harbor. Early in the 20th century he was employed by Bethlehem Steel Shipbuilding Company etching ship portraits from blueprints. During the Second World War he served with the United States Coast Guard in the Boston area, again putting his artistic talents to use for the War effort.

His works are exhibited in the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Currier Gallery, Lyman Allyn Museum, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London Connecticut and the Library of Congress.

The handsome sidewheel steamer LOUISE, call sign JCMW, was a steel-hulled passenger vessel of 231.7 feet in length with a breadth of 33 feet, a draft of 8.8 feet, displacing 1023 tons. She was built in Wilmington, Delaware in 1864 and operated under the ownership of Charles Morton out of Baltimore, Maryland. In 1886 Morton sold his interests and LOUISE was relocated to Camden, New Jersey where she continued to ply the passenger trade into the early 1900’s. (“Record of American & Foreign Shipping,” 1885, American Shipmasters Association, New York).


Order Info



1.18 FAMOUS AMERICAN SILKWORK. Thomas Willis, American (worked 1875-1910), silk embroidery and oil on canvas. This classic Willis silkwork depicts the famous New York Yacht Club steam yacht MIRAGE. The sleek and powerful yacht is seen from the port side underway with the New York Yacht club burgee flying from the jackstaff, the owner's burgee of New York tycoon Cornelius Vanderbilt flying from the mast and the American yachting ensign aft. Adding to its fame, the MIRAGE was built by Nathaniel Herreschoff, recognized as the greatest yacht builder in American history! With his typically amazing detail in this delicate medium, Willis shows the helmsman at the wheel with a skylight binnacle leading the way. Two uniformed sailors are on deck and the yacht's captain sits just forward of the mast. The owner (Vanderbilt himself) and another are shown lounging in deck chairs under the canopy aft with a steward in attendance. The vessel name "MIRAGE" is finely embroidered as a nameboard just under the funnel. Many other minute details are present such as the capstan forward, deck fittings, curtained windows, whistle, lifelines, lifeboat and lifering. Signed lower right, "T. Willis." This painting measures 18 by 31 inches sight and is housed in its original ornate gilt frame with gold liner under old wavy glass measuring 25 by 39 inches overall. The frame is exquisite. The oil on canvas painting bears expected age cracilature and there are a few professionally applied reinforcements on the back of the canvas. The silkwork embroidery is in perfect condition with bright colors, no losses and no loose threads. Willis' meticulous stitchery is fully visible on the back. Overall condition can certainly be rated as excellent. Circa 1900. Was $4,195 NOW! 1795Special PackagingBack to Top

Undoubtedly this mixed media ship's portrait was personally commissioned of Willis by Mr. Vanderbilt. Cornelius Vanderbilt III (September 5, 1873 - March 1, 1942) was born into the wealthy and powerful Vanderbilt family, the namesake having amassed a fortune expanding American railroads Westward after the Civil War. Called "Neily" by his friends, the younger Vanderbilt did not rest on his grandfather's laurels however. He was a businessman, inventor, engineer, decorated military officer and yachtsman. Yachting was one of Neily Vanderbilt's favorite pastimes which provided him an escape from a busy life that included a seat on the board of directors of several major American corporations. In 1910, he piloted his yacht to victory in the New York Yacht Club's race for the "King Edward VII Cup."

Thomas H. Willis was born in Connecticut in 1850. By 1875 he had perfected a technique of depicting ships using silk thread embroidery. He moved to New York where he found a greater market for his works. He was a contemporary of famous marine artist Antonio Jacobsen and there is evidence that the two artists actually collaborated on some of their ships portraits. Willis' work is publicly displayed in a number of institutions including the Mariner's Museum, Newport News, Virginia, Mystic Seaport Museum, Connecticut and the Peabody Museum of Salem, Massachusetts. Many of his works were signed with the monogram of a conjoined T and W. This painting bears his full signature.

The fast steam yacht MIRAGE was a wooden hull vessel of 75 feet in length displacing 30 gross tons. She was built and launched by Nathaniel G. Herreschoff in his Bristol, Rhode Island yard in 1900. Later in her life the yacht was retrofitted with gas engines. MIRAGE was still in service as late as 1925 under different ownership. (Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1925).


detail
signature

back

Order Info



2.96 MUSEUM MODEL & PHOTO. Genuine hand-made model of an early 20th century San Francisco Bay ferryboat operated by the Western Pacific Railroad, as identified on the bottom with pencil markings. This wonderfully detailed waterline model is constructed entirely of wood with hand-cut brass and metal fittings. It comes from the prestigious collection of the DeYoung Museum of San Francisco, California which was recently sold by that institution to generate funds for expansion and improvements of their facility. The model itself measures 4 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. With that, it exhibits superb detailing for a model of its size and type. It is signed on the bottom in pencil, "Wes. Pac. RR Co. Ferry, San Francisco." Excellent condition with all original old painted surfaces. Accompanying this offering is a rare period photograph of the actual vessel circa 1915, mounted on its original card which measures 8 by 10 inches and is in perfect original condition. A great early San Francisco Bay offering! Was $495 NOW! 195

This exquisite little model is identifiable as the Western Pacific's premier ferryboat EDWARD T. JEFFERY built by Moore & Scott Iron Works, Oakland, California in 1913. She had a steel hull which displaced 1578 tons, with a length of 218 feet, breadth of 42 feet and a 16 foot draft. The JEFFERY was a very well known ferry, highly esteemed by Bay residents at that time. Later in her career, about 1930, she was renamed FEATHER RIVER. In 1933 she was again renamed SIERRA NEVADA when ownership was transferred to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The identity of the modeler who constructed this fine ship model is unknown, but obviously he was in every sense a skilled professional!



super detail
reverse

photo

Order Info



2.08 FAMOUS SHIP MODEL with MUSEUM PROVENANCE. Period, hand-made model of the World War II troop ship USS HERMITAGE. This sailor-made model exhibits excellent craftsmanship and very fine detail, with all aspects of the ship's construction meticulously executed, even down to the coxswain's rails and planking on the ship's boats! The large, solid hull wooden model measures 41 inches long by 5 1/4 inches wide at the widest on the bridge wings. It is mounted atop its original solid cherrywood base measuring 43 inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Outstanding original condition for a model of this size, construction and vintage! ! Was $2495 NOW! 995 Special PackagingBack to Top

A well-known Museum has commissioned us to sell this model because it is not in keeping with the purpose of its collection. The Museum has asked us to provide anonymity during this offering. However full Museum provenance will be provided to the successful buyer so that its valuable history will be retained with the model.

The grand passenger ship S.S. CONTE BIANCOMANO was launched in 1925 by William Beardmore & Co. Ltd. of Glasgow, Scotland, sailing as a luxury liner for Lloyd Triestino So. Anon. di Nav. Italia. When Italy declared war on the United States shortly after America's entry into the War with Japan in December 1941, CONTE BIANCOMANO was interned at Balboa, Canal Zone, sailed to the U.S. and converted to a troop transport by Cramp Shipbuilding of Philadelphia. She was commissioned as the USS HERMITAGE on August 14, 1942. On November 2, 1942 HERMITAGE embarked 5,600 army troops and sailors and departed New York for the Mediterranean. Six days later the North African invasion began, and HERMITAGE debarked her passengers at Casablanca to participate in the famous campaign known as Operation Torch. Returning to Norfolk, Virginia on December 11th, HERMITAGE next steamed for the Pacific with nearly 6,000 passengers embarked. After embarking and debarking passengers at Balboa, Noumea, Brisbane, Sydney Pago Pago, and Honolulu the former luxury liner put into San Francisco on March 2nd, 1943.

HERMITAGE next made way for Wellington, New Zealand on March 27, 1943, calling at Melbourne, Australia and Bombay India. In Bombay she embarked some 707 Polish refugees, including nearly one hundred children, for a voyage back to California which ended on June 25th. In the following year HERMITAGE made three similar cruises in the South Pacific, with battle-bound troops, civilians, and refugees.

HERMITAGE departed New York on June 16, 1944 with over 6,000 troops headed for the D-Day invasion of Europe, which had just begun at Normandy. From then on, until the end of the war, she made 10 more voyages to Le Havre and other ports, bringing additional troops to the European theater and returning the wounded back to the States along with P.O.W.'s.

V-E Day, May 8, 1945, found HERMITAGE in the midst of a celebration in Le Havre Harbor, France. With the War over, she was pressed into service returning veterans home from the European theater through December 1945. Departing New York 12 December, the well-traveled transport sailed to Nagoya, Japan to embark 6,000 veterans to Seattle, arriving February 4, 1946. Assigned to the San Francisco-Marianas run for Operation Magic Carpet, she made three more voyages before being decommissioned in San Francisco on August 20, 1946.

While serving with the Navy, HERMITAGE sailed over 230,000 miles, transporting 129,695 passengers, including American, British, Australian, French and Dutch fighting men. She also carried Chinese, American, Polish, and British civilians, not to mention German and Italian prisoners. HERMITAGE was returned to the Italian Government in May 1947 and renamed SS CONTE BIANCAMANO once more. Fittingly, the sunset of her career saw her continuing in her originally designed role as a passenger liner until she was ultimately scrapped in 1969.



ship
detail

reverse
stern

midship
bow

Order Info



2.32 FOLK ART MODEL. Absolutely charming late 19th century American cased waterline folk art ship model. This delightful little wooden model depicts a 2-masted schooner under full sail plying a carved wooden sea with full-rigged carved wooden sails! The solid hull ship has a black boot topping and white bulwarks with bowsprit, masts and yards in natural wood. The 3 jib sails are realistically portrayed with their attachment to the standing rigging, and the mains’l and mizzen are realistically attached with mast hoops! Ratlines and hand-carved wooden blocks complete the rigging, which must surely have been done by a sailor intimately familiar with such details. But that’s not all. The deck detail is amazing! Both old fashioned anchors with chain are depicted. There are 2 deck houses with cut-out windows and open doors. The helmsman is standing aft at the helm with the poop deck above. Two lifeboats in their davits are rigged, and they even contain oars! Yet the piece-de-resistance of this model is the depiction of no fewer than 14 crewmen going about their work on the planked deck! The American flag flies atop the mizzen. All surfaces of the model are colorful and bright in their original old finish. This is because the model has been housed in its original wooden case with alligatored surfaces and old wavy glass on 5 sides. The case measures 18 inches long by 9 inches wide and 14 inches tall. The model itself is 14 ¼ inches long by 11 inches high. Condition is outstanding and original in all respects. In the proper folk art auction this model would zoom. Was $1995 NOW! 895 Special PackagingBack to Top



ship
close up

focsle
stern close up

Order Info



3.11 AMERICAN SEXTANT SET. Ultimately rare, perhaps one-of-a kind, cased 19th century double sextant set made by the prestigious American scientific instrument company “Keuffel and Esser, New York” as engraved on the index arms and as indicated on their respective labels. This matched set features not one but TWO sextants contained within their single dovetailed mahogany box. Each sextant is made of cast bronze with classic lattice frame design in their original factory oxidized finish. The index arms are signed “Keuffel & Esser Co., New York” and are serial numbered “6101” and 6112” respectively. The large arcs are inlaid with silver scales reading from -5 degrees through 165 degrees, effectively making them “quintants.” The scales are subdivided in 20 arc minutes, with the vernier scale allowing an accurate reading down to 30 arc seconds. To aid in the reading each vernier is equipped with a light diffuser on the index arm and a pivoting magnifier. The index arm features a knurled thumbscrew stop and the double tangent screw fine adjust feature as introduced by the French circa 1880. Both instruments are complete with their full set of 4 index filters, 3 horizon filters and index and horizon mirrors. Both have their adjustable height sight tube holders designed to accommodate one of three (total six) sighting accessories. These include a peep tube, short telescope and long telescope with cross hairs. The backs of these sextants retain their original sculpted mahogany handles and long brass “feet.” These fine instruments are housed in their original machine dove-tailed box with brass furniture, functional skeleton lock and key, folding brass handle, unusual locking box closures and inlaid “shield” escutcheon in the lid. They are absolutely complete with all attachments including spare mirrors, two screwdrivers, two adjusting wrenches and 4 telescope tube eyepiece filters. Speaking to the quality of this set, the attachment compartments are even lined in protective green felt! The lid of the box bears the faux ivory maker’s label reading “KEUFFEL & ESSER CO. NEW YORK , St. Louis. Chicago. San Francisco.” But what’s more, each of the sextants has matching serial numbered “KEUFFEL & ESSER Co.” labels proclaiming its manufactory, locations with company logo and drawing of “Factories, Hoboken, N.J.” Each sextant has a 7 ½ inch index arm and measures 9 inches wide on the arc. The box measures 16 ½ inches long, 9 ½ inches wide and 5 ½ inches thick. The entire presentation is in unbelievably fine state of preservation being in near mint, factory original condition in every respect! Truly a rare find! Was $4900 NOW! 2995 Special PackagingBack to Top



box
in box

sextant
labels

signature

Order Info



3.24 EARLY OCTANT BOX. Mid-19th century or earlier keystone box which houses an octant or sextant. The construction is entirely of early rich mahogany with distinctively early hand-cut dove-tailed joints. The interior contains a set of brackets for holding the instrument’s handle and a set of two eyepieces, filter and adjusting tool. The lid bears the partial label of the famous firm “John Bruce & Son, South Castle Street, Liverpool.” It is complete with its original box lock and 2 hook and eye closures. There are two typical age cracks in the lid, however the entire presentation is very sound and most worthy. The important interior dimensions are 10 inches wide at the base and 10 ¼ inches top to bottom. The wooden brackets for holding the instrument’s handle are not screwed in, so they can easily be repositioned. It is quite rare to find an early box of this quality wanting of an instrument. Was $249 NOW! 79



perspective
side

label

Order Info



3.23 INCLINOMETER SCALE. Authentic mid-1900’s ship’s clinometer scale which was mounted on the pilot house bulkhead of a commercial freighter. The scale reads from 0 to 50 degrees port and starboard, with either side of the centerline marked in single degrees up to 20 and thereafter in 5 degree increments marked by 10’s. The scale is made of an early plastic and is painted gold. It is 11 ½ inches wide and 7/8 inches thick. Original condition. A great project for the do it yourselfer. Shipped via USPS First Class mail. Was $29 NOW! FREE



scale

Order Info



5.45/21.19 WORLD WAR II U.S. NAVY PERISCOPE. A truly amazing find! This is a World War II vintage turret gunsight telescopic periscope from a capital battleship of the era! The telescope body is steel with brass components. Its state-of-the-art optics produce a highly magnified upright image crucial to the big ship’s mission. The ocular is a typical cylindrical eyepiece with rotating focus. The original fitted rubber eye cup is still present and quite flexible. The internal optics also produce both a reticle for tracking the target and a built-in degree scale. The optics work just as a submarine periscope providing a horizontal image in-line with the target over a vertical distance of more than 3 feet. The maker’s inscription on the side of the main body reads:


“U.S. NAVY BUR. OF ORD.
PERISCOPE MK 23
INSP’R B.B.A. No. 26
U.S. NAVAL GUN FACTORY
WASHINGTON D.C. 1942”

This periscope measures 42 inches tall overall and 10 inches in diameter at the widest. What is especially nice is the periscope is contained in its original dovetailed oak carrying box (crate) measuring 4 feet long and 13/2 inches wide. The entire assembly weighs 192 pounds. There are substantial fold-down handles for carrying on each end. What a rare and unusual offering! SOLDBack to Top

We have seen a similar telescope mounted through the roof of a Cape Cod home allowing the owners to take in the surrounding scenery from the comfort and privacy of their living room!



perspective
in box

front
lens

eye piece
maker

box markings



5.37 EARLY U.S. NAVY STERO CARDS. An amazing collection of turn-of-the-last-century photographic stereo viewer cards depicting a wide array of scenes pertaining to the U.S Navy. Such cards were immensely popular in the late 1800’s prior to motion pictures. Cutting edge for their time, they gave the viewer a sense of reality by producing a 3-D effect. These original cards are all hard mounted on standard 3 ½ by 7 1/8 stiff cardboard backing. Most are original albumen or silverplate photographs affixed to the card. At least 3 are images enhanced by hand-coloring. Topics include “Cruiser Brooklyn Loading Ammunition, A Pair of 13-Inch Guns, A gunner on Ohio, After Turrets of the Kentucky, Manning the Guns, Launching a Battleship, the Dynamite Cruiser Vesuvius, 13 Inch Guns and Huge Anchor Chain Forward Deck of the Battleship Connecticut,” etc. All of the cards are in remarkably well preserved, original condition . This is a great opportunity to acquire such a rare collection with a most desirable theme, dating from the Spanish-American War, at a nominal price. A total of 20 cards. Was $395 NOW! 195



group 1
group 2

Order Info



6.39 NAVAL CANNONS. Matched pair of decorative 19th century ship's naval guns on their carriages. These two authentic looking cannons have barrels of heavy cast iron mounted on equally heavy solid oak carriages with hand forged fittings. Each weighs a hefty 70 pounds. These cannons were not designed to fire, but likely were used as display pieces or trade signs. Each of the cannons is 27 1/2 inches long overall, with their barrels measuring 24 inches long and bores of 1 1/4 inches. Excellent original condition with the appearance of genuine 18th century ship’s guns. Was $3950 NOW! 1950 Special PackagingBack to Top



perspective
profile

muzzle

Order Info



8.25 PILOT HOUSE BINNACLE. Very appealing first half of the 1900’s English pattern ship’s steering compass, made in England for a Canadian distributor which offered it through a Danish ship chandler! This diminutive navigational device has a wet card (now dry) compass with the float marked “Sestral DEAD BEAT.” The white enameled card is marked in points of the compass down to ¼ point with the cardinal and intercardinal points identified. North is marked by a fancy fleur-de-lis above the name “Sestrel.” The periphery of the card is calibrated in single degrees marked by 10’s. The brass rim of the compass is signed “TRADE “Sestrel” MARK” forward. On the “AFT” rim it is marked “R.F. Bovey Ltd Distributors Vancouver B.C.” The compass is fully gimbaled and very lively. The card measures 6 inches in diameter and the body of the compass 8 inches. It is housed within its all brass hood with hinged cover and stop, glazed skylight on top and sliding door on the back. For night viewing it is equipped with an oil burning side lamp with burner, glazed door and insulating wooden handle for lifting it out. All perfect. The front of the binnacle body bears a glazed bubble inclinometer marked in single degrees from 0 to 45 port and starboard. It is signed “TRADE Sestrel MARK.” Above it is the cast brass chandler’s label “SOLVER & SVARRER / COPENHAGEN / IVER C. WEILBACH & CO.” The lovely tapering binnacle body is solid teak with plugged and dowelled construction. It terminates in a heavy cast bronze base with 3 “feet” for attachment to the deck. The pedestal body contains 2 hinged doors with locks and functional skeleton key. These contain the magnet boxes used to compensate for the ship’s deviation. Several magnets are still present. There is also a slot with a thick wooden block which pulls out to reveal the healing bucket within. This binnacle has the classic compensating spheres, technically known as “quadrantal correctors,” but colloquially called the “navigator’s balls,” indicating it was used on an iron ship. They are painted in the traditional red and green designating port and starboard. It stands 49 ½ inches tall to the top of the side light and measures 26 ½ inches wide at the widest on the arms, measuring 17 ½ inches in diameter on the base inclusive of one of the feet. An extremely handsome presentation in a very manageable size compared to most of it genre. Was $3950 NOW! 1950 Special PackagingBack to Top



detail
back

side
magnet box

inclinometer
magnet box

hood
compass

lamp
lamp detail

lamp open

Order Info



9.73 EARLY SURGICAL TOOL. Rare early 19th century surgeon's tool specifically designed for the extraction of tonsils from the throat of a hapless patient. This specialty tool was used prior to the advent of antiseptic and anesthetic conditions. One can only speculate how horrendous the procedure must have been! Known as a "Tonsil Guillotine," it consists of a fearsome sharp probe and two sliding steel orifices connected to a brass shaft terminating in a cross hatched ivory handle. Pulling the handle engages a sliding blade, the guillotine, which in theory would have sliced off the patient's tonsil once engaged by the probe and held by the orifice! Clever in its construction, this no less gruesome device bears decorative elements in its construction reminiscent of instruments from the Queen Ann period. It measures 10 inches long and is in excellent original functioning condition. Both the steel and brass components bear deep patination with surface oxidation, but no rust or corrosion. The ivory handle is sound with only minor staining (blood?). A very rare early surgical tool of museum quality. Was $1495 NOW! 695

Elizabeth Bennion in "Antique Medical Instruments," 1979, Sotheby Parke Bernet, London, pictures and describes a similar device with finger pieces on page 108. The photograph is captioned, "Tonsil guillotine, c. 1860, Museum of Historical Medicine, Copenhagen." The text, in part, reads, "Guillotines and forceps were listed in the catalogues from the early nineteenth century and were in two sizes, for adults and children. Tonsil-guillotines are easily recognizable by means of the two parallel sliding rings, one with cutting edge... Unlike many other instruments, the earlier examples tend to be lighter while those of a later date become complicated and cumbersome with elaborate finger pieces. Cased sets with various spare attachments were made c. 1860, but simple steel and brass guillotines have survived from at least ten years earlier." It is our belief that the example here is much earlier than 1850 and thus may in fact represent a prototype!



closed
open

side
handle

handle detail
shaft detail

blade open
blade detail

Order Info



11.25 SHIP IN A BOTTLE DIORAMA. Most charming, early 1900’s ship in a bottle scene depicting a large 3-masterd bark passing a town with numerous features. These include a large windmill, a derrick lifting a load of lumber on the shoreline, a truss bridge over a river, a town in the hills complete with church tower, and a train on tracks running into a tunnel! The ship itself has a raised foc’sle and poop carved from a single piece of wood. Portholes are depicted along it sides, and it is complete with standing rigging. The ship plies a blue putty sea and the inside of the bottle has a painted blue sky with clouds. This is all contained within an early molded whiskey bottle with long neck sealed with the original cork under old red paint. The glass is clear, the colors bright and the contents are untouched. 11 ¼ inches long by 3 inches in diameter. Was $595 NOW! 195 Special PackagingBack to Top



perspective
detail

ship train

Order Info



12.25 CARVED CHINA TRADE FRAME. Lavishly-carved wooden picture frame produced for the Chinese export market during the mid-1800’s. It is carved from a single solid piece of valuable dealwood and was made for displaying the recently-invented prized photographic portrait. The intricate carving with floral motifs features a bird at the top flanked by two bushy-tailed squirrels on either side. Then midway down the frame are more birds on either side. The center consists of a rectangular “rope” border housing an oval opening decorated with delicate leafy branches and an even finer beaded boarder. The back of the frame has a 4 ¼ by 6 5/8 inch cut-out for mounting a photograph. To these ends it retains 4 small pivoting wooden clips on all four edges to secure the mount. The frame itself measures 11 ¼ inches tall overall by 7 ½ inches wide. Remarkably it remains preserved in almost perfect original condition with a beautiful original age patina! Was $495 NOW! 195



bird
squirrel

back

Order Info



13.50 CARVED WALL COMPENDIUM. Very handsome 4th quarter of the 19th century English clock and weather station contained within an ornately-carved hardwood wall mount case. This decorative high quality instrument has three indicators. At the top is an 8 day clock equipped with an all brass jeweled movement with a scarce cylinder escapement. It is set in a brass bezel with beveled glass crystal. The wind and set function are made from the back with the original double-ended brass key. The middle instrument consists of a lovely mercury thermometer with large bulb reading from 20 to 152 degrees Fahrenheit. The silvered brass scale is marked with the traditional indicators, “FREEZING, TEMPERATE, SUMr HEAT, and BLOOD HEAT” and is mounted within a shaped wooden frame covered by glass. The bottom is graced by a high quality aneroid barometer having a white dial with an especially large range -- reading from 26.7 to 32.3 inches of mercury in 2/100ths increments. It too is marked with the traditional weather indicators “STORMY, RAIN, CHANGE, FAIR and VERY DRY.” It is also marked with the weather trends such as “FALL for S.Wly. S.E. S.W.” and “RISE for N.E.ly. N.W. N.E.” etc. A fine steel indicator needle points the reading and a second brass set needle attached to a knurled knob indicates change from the previous reading. The set needle is rove through the beveled glass crystal housed in its brass bezel. 21 ¼ inches tall by 7 ¾ inches wide at the widest and 2 ¾ inches thick. The entire presentation is in an excellent state of original preservation. All three functions work properly and accurately. The clock is a good strong runner. Was $1995 NOW! 395 Special PackagingBack to Top



clock dial
barometer dial

thermometer dial
clock movement

back

Order Info



14.26 DECORATED CHINA TRADE TRUNK. Outstanding 19th century Chinese export trunk with finest construction and decoration. This large lovely trunk, measuring 40 inches long, 21 inches wide and 18 1/2 inches high, is crafted of solid aromatic camphor wood using hand dove-tailed construction. It is overlaid by pigskin and then fully brass-bound and tacked for strength, durability and beauty. The lidded chest has three substantial brass hinges and a folding brass "stay" to hold it once open. Inside the reinforced lid is the entire original maker's label reading "MADE IN CANTON CHINA. KWANG-TUNG. YUT WO" The front of the chest is equipped with a brass pull ring for opening and the original functional lock with skeleton key! Both ends of the chest retain their heavy cast brass carrying handles. This colorful chest is beautifully decorated with hand-painted Oriental vignettes depicting exotic birds and floral designs set on a red background -- red being the most collectible color of this genre of chests. The top leather covering is in tact although somewhat buckled with age. The wooden structure is solid and perfectly sound. Overall this chest is in beautifully preserved condition, evidencing wear and age consistent with a 150 year steamer trunk that has been used but not abused. Was $3950 NOW! 895 Special PackagingBack to Top

Provenance: This China trade trunk came from the Farrell estate of Oakland, California. It was acquired by Mr. Farrell, a mining engineer, in Canton while on assignment in China in 1889. This same trunk accompanied the Farrell family while on tour in Europe in 1901.

This trunk is accompanied by a newspaper clipping reporting the sale of a similar trunk at auction in 2003. The trunk sold was smaller, not as decorative, minus its lock and key, and did not carry provenance.



perspective
detail

open
label

article

Order Info



15.23 SAILING SHIP CREW PHOTO. Original late 19th C. silver plate photograph depicting the entire crew assembled on deck in front of a massive square-rigged mast. Judging by the large number of crewmen and their uniforms this was a military ship. The officers are seated with the distinguished Captain front and center. Flanking him are his officers and a civilian in a white suit, perhaps a dignitary posing for the occasion. At least 2 women can be seen posing in the photo. Behind are approximately 100 sailors in the flat hats perched on stanchions, davits, one of the ship’s lifeboats and ventilators. All manner of blocks, tackle and lines surround the scene. One sailor can be seen holding a life ring with the visible letters “INC” perhaps preceded by a “K.” This is undoubtedly the ship’s name which is also visible but indistinct on several of the sailors’ hat ribbons. This large antique image measures 8 by 11 inches sight and is contained under glass in its original decorative oblong mat bearing the photographer’s signature “Nolken & Petersen, AARHUS.” It is surrounded by a fancy gilt liner housed in its original oak frame measuring 18 by 21 inches. Excellent overall condition noting some minor losses to the gilded liner. The photograph itself is perfect. . Was $295 NOW! 79 Special PackagingBack to Top



detail
signature

Order Info



16.25 LARGE TERRESTIAL GLOBE on STAND. Good, early 20th century American floor standing terrestrial globe signed "Weber Costello, Chicago Heights, Illinois, Political Reality Globe." This large size world globe is constructed in the traditional manner with paper gores overlaying a plaster sphere with wooden reinforcements at the poles. The lithographed surfaces show good detail with political boundaries, all major cities (over 100,000 population), mountain peaks, rivers, canals, railways, steamship routes and more, accurately depicted as of circa 1935. The 16 inch globe is in excellent overall condition with no scuffs or abrasions and shows just enough surface toning to give it a great antique appearance! The graceful solid walnut stand is done in the Duncan Phyfe style with lion paw feet and carved "urn" support pillar. The 18 1/2 inch diameter equatorial ring is overlaid by paper printed with degrees, statute miles, and time zones from Greenwich. Together with its quadrupedal stand this globe measures 33 inches high and 23 1/2 inches across at the base. A handsome, high quality floor standing globe for library or study at a very reasonable price. Was $1495 NOW! 395 Special PackagingBack to Top



detail
maker

stand

Order Info



17.30 TRADE CARD. Finely engraved 19th century American advertising trade card for the "National Line Steamships" with the colorful depiction of the clipper bowed S.S. ENGLAND under sail, flanked by a rope border emblazoned with flags of the United States and Britain. The reverse boasts "National Line, Passenger Steamship comprising twelve of the largest Ocean Steam Ships belonging to one company in the Atlantic Service..." Much information including a listing of of "Passage Rates" for which 1st Class Excursion is $120! The front of the card is signed "Hatch Lith. Co., NY" and measures 3 1/2 x 6 inches. Good condition with toning to the reverse and minor staining. Circa 1885. Was $195 NOW! 79



reverse

Order Info



18.73 GENUINE SHIP’s SALON LAMP. Lovely ship’s hanging cabin lamp of high end English quality manufacture. This very heavy duty all brass lamp is constructed of thick tubular supports containing a smaller ring on the bottom which holds the font and a larger upper ring housing the shade. The big scalloped brass font accommodates its double burner which screws in. The wick advance knobs are marked “Duplex Made In England.” Speaking to its quality, the burner has built-in lever actuating snuffers. Two brand new cotton wicks are installed. The burner supports its original crystal chimney which is etched “Anchor Brand Fire Proof” with an anchor emblem. The frame of the lamp has decoratively-cast floral supports. The top has a large loop for hanging and contains a circular smoke bell below. The lamp has an overall height of 21 ½ inches and is 15 inches wide. Beautiful condition. A rare offering at this price? Was $995 NOW! 395



with burner
frame

font and burner
marks

chimney
anchor

Order Info



 AUTHENTIC LIGHTHOUSE.   This is the ultimate!  Here is an exceptional opportunity to own a very historic relic of America’s rich maritime heritage embodied in the original lamp room from the famous Ballast Point Lighthouse, which served its sentinel duties in the channel of San Diego Bay from 1890 until 1960.  This incredibly well-preserved piece of history was built according to specifications laid out by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1885.  A copy of the original specifications are included as are much printed references and photographs.  Erected in 1890, the 5th Order lighthouse was a significant aid to navigation in conjunction with the Point Loma Lighthouse (1850) poised at the entrance to San Diego Bay.   Ballast Point Light was situated further inside the massive bay on a point which jutted into the seaway which posed a hazard to shipping.  13 feet 10 inches high with a maximum width of 8 feet 8 inches.  Weight approximately 5 tons. It will require a crane and a flat bed truck for transport.  129 years old!  Price Request Special Packaging

Serious inquiries only please.  No telephone quotes.  This item has been nominated as a candidate for the National Historic Register, and is currently being considered by a number of museums, private lighthouse restoration groups and the U.S. Navy.   Clear title is guaranteed.  Please provide your qualifications for ownership and your intentions for use.  We reserve the right to select a deserving owner.   We have already soundly rejected a low ball offer of $25,000 – that being the original price of the lamp room in 1890!   A single 5th Order light house lens recently sold for $125,000.  This is the entire lamp room, much rarer, and probably the only one of its kind to ever be for sale again

HISTORY

On October 2, 1888, recognizing the need for a harbor light in the increasingly congested channel of San Diego Bay, Congress authorized $25,000 for the construction of a lighthouse to be built on Ballast Point.  Fashioned in the late Victorian style, the entire structure took 3 months to build beginning in March 1890.  The light was first lit on August 1st.  It was a sister of the lights at San Luis Obispo and Table Bluff, south of Humboldt Bay.  All were wood framed structures with attached living quarters.  The ironwork for the lantern was forged in San Francisco and carried south to San Diego by ship.  The French firm of Sautter, Lemmonier, & Cie. manufactured the Freznel lens for the Ballast Point Light in 1886.  The fixed 5th Order lens was visible for a distance of at least 11 miles.
When California was still part of Mexico the peninsula jutting into San Diego Bay was known as Punta del los Guijarros or “Pebble Point.”  For centuries cobblestones washed down by the San Diego River had been deposited on the point.  When California gained statehood in 1850 the point was renamed Middle Ground Shoal.  As time went on and merchant traffic in the harbor increased, many sailing ships found it convenient to load or discharge the stones as ballast.  The practice continued and eventually the name “Ballast Point” stuck.
Accompanying the Ballast Point lighthouse was a huge 2,000 pound fog bell in a wooden tower.  In 1928 it was supplanted by a single tone electric diaphone horn.

The first keeper of the light was John M. Nilsson, assigned duty on July 15, 1890.  The second was Henry Hall, who took the job on December 1, 1892.  Perhaps the most famous keeper was Irish born David R. Splaine, a Civil War veteran and veteran lighthouse keeper, who assumed the post in 1894, having served at Point Conception, the Farallons and San Diego’s own Point Loma light from 1886-1889.

In 1913 the original old kerosene lamp was replaced with an acetylene burner.  Acetylene gave way to electricity in 1928.  In 1938 a filter was fitted inside the 5th Order Freznel lens giving the light a distinctive green hue for recognition.  One of the last keepers of the light was Radford Franke who recalled receiving the order to “douse the light” upon the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

By early 1960 the light was deemed to be of no further service, so in June of that year the lantern room was removed to a salvage yard.  The wooden tower and its brick and mortar foundation remained a couple of years later until they too were declared structurally unsafe and demolished.  The bell tower continued to survive, mounted with a 375 mm high intensity lamp on its roof.  However the value of maintaining any light on Ballast Point diminished with the installation of harbor entrance range lights.  In the late 1960’s the bell and its tower were dismantled.  The tower found its way to a private residence in Lakeside, California.  The bell had a more circuitous later life.  It was purchased from a San Diego area junk yard in 1969 for its scrap value of 5 cents per pound!  The one ton bell remained on local private property until 1991, when it was put on loan to the San Diego Maritime Museum.  In 1999 the bell was transported to the son of the original buyer, living in Colorado.  Then in 2002, the bell finally found its way to the home of the owner’s granddaughter living in Vermont, where it rests to this day.
The story of the lantern’s later life is even more fascinating.  The nation was just recovering from the Cuban Missile Crisis between JFK and Khrushchev, when in 1964 the Cuban government cut off the fresh water supply to the U.S. Naval base at Guantanamo Bay.  By that time, an experimental desalinization plant had been in operation at Point Loma for 2 years.  The Navy hastily ordered it to be disassembled and shipped through the Panama Canal to Cuba.  A gentleman working as a crane operator during the process noted the shabby lantern room in a trash heap nearby.  He inquired as to the fate of the relic and was told it was salvage.  Asking if he could purchase it,  the yard foreman told him he could “have it” if he would haul it away.  With that, for the next 34 years the lantern room served as a gazebo in the backyard of the man’s residence in Bonita, California.  It was purchased by the present owners in 1998, fully refurbished, and then placed on public display ever since.  Now it is time for it to find its next new home.  According to the crane operator who delivered the lamp room it weighs approximately 5 tons.  It will require a crane and a flat bed truck for removal.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
F. Ross Holland, “The Old Point Loma Lighthouse,” 1978, Cabrillo Historical Association, San Diego, California
Jim Gibbs, “The Twilight of Lighthouses,” 1996, Schiffer Publishing, Atglen, PA.
Kin Fahlen and Karen Scanlon, “Lighthouse of San Diego,” 2008, Arcadia Publishing, San Francisco
Kraig Anderson, “Forgotten Ballast Point “Lighthouse” Seeks New Home,” article in “Lighthouse Digest,” East Machias, Maine,  September – October 2011,  Vol. XX, no. 5 pages 34 – 37.
“Mains’l Haul,” a periodic publication of the San Diego Maritime Association, Summer 1990, Vol. XXVI,  No. 4, pp. 11-12.


LIGHTHOUSE BACK
DETAIL BRASS WINDOW MOLDINGS AND GLASS

INTERIOR

ENTRY DOORS. THERE WAS NO INTERNAL ACCESS TO THE LAMP ROOM

BALLAST POINT LIGHT STATION AS IT LOOKED IN 1903. NOTE THE BALLAST STONES ON THE BEACH AND THE DOG HOUSE ON THE RIGHT. THE OLD WHALING STATION IS IN THE BACKGROUND LEFT
KEEPER STEVEN POZANAC AND THE 5TH ORDER FREZNEL LENS IN 1939. NOTICE THE FILTER INSIDE

THE LIGHTHOUSE COMPLEX AS IT APPEARED IN THE 1940'S
DISMANTLING THE LANTERN ROOM IN 1960

LIGHTHOUSE GINGERLY BEING REMOVED OVER HIGH TENSION POWER LINES

Order Info


Back to Top