West Sea Company

17. Ocean Liner

Prices in U.S. Dollars are in GREEN

 




17. 25 OCEAN LINER TEAPOT.  Original teapot used in the service of the P & O Lines in the liner heyday of the 1950’s.  This pristine example is hard fired porcelain complete with vented top which has a lip to prevent the top from slipping while pouring.  The bottom is marked “P & O Ashworth Bros., England” inside a floral wreath with two hand-painted red marks.  It is also impressed with the number “30” on the lower rim.  7 ¼ inches across including the spout and handle.  4 5/8 inches in diameter overall.  Perfect original condition.  59


reverse
open

maker

 

Order Info


 


17.24  FAMOUS LINER COMMEMORATIVE.  Very early 1900’s West Coast ship’s memento depicting the well known passenger liner MATSONIA underway at sea as seen from a port bow perspective.  This original early albumen image in sepia tones bears scrutiny under magnification.  Deck details, crewmen and the ship’s structure are clearly depicted.  The faint image of another ship can be seen on the far right horizon.  This period photograph is housed under its original old wavy glass in a sculpted redwood frame with 8 spokes denoting a ship’s wheel.  It is hand-painted “M. N. Co. MATSONIA” in a distinctive style which bears further research as to the origins of this California cottage industry maker from 1905 onward.  12 inches wide from spoke to spoke.  The body of the presentation is 9 inches in diameter, and the image itself is 5 ½ inches in diameter.  Magnificent, untouched original condition.  A very desirable West Coast offering, over 100 years old!  299

The passenger liner SS MATSONIA was built by the Newport News Ship Building Company, Newport News, Virginia and launched, in 1913 for the Matson Steam Navigation Company.  The Matson fleet was based out of Hawaii, so MATSONIA began her early career in the Pacific running between the mainland U.S, Hawaii and Far East destinations.  As war clouds developed in Europe, she was acquired by the U.S. Shipping Board and turned over to the Navy at New York (by way of the Panama Canal), in January 1918 as a troop ship.  She was commissioned  USS MATSONIA on March 1, 1918.

Later that month MATSONIA sailed for France embarked with troops and an Army cargo.  She completed six round trips to Europe prior to the War’s end.  During her second voyage the convoy in which MATSONIA was steaming came under was attack by a German U-boat which sank a sister ship only 800 yards from the lucky ship.  During her service she transferred 13,329 troops to Europe.  At War's end she brought back over 23,000 troops in 8 voyages, with the final crossing ending in New York on August 20, 1919.  She was decommissioned on September 12, 1919 and returned to her former owners on September 17.

After the Great War MATSONIA continued in her original role as a passenger liner.  In March 1937 Matson sold her to Alaskan interests, whereupon she was renamed ETOLIN.  With the onset of World War II she was again pressed into service as a troopship, this time in the Pacific.  At the end of the war she was laid up in the Defense Reserve Fleet in the James River, Virginia.  Ultimately she was scrapped in Baltimore, Maryland in 1957.

The unique form of this presentation appears to have been done in the very early 1900’s by an individual or small workshop based in central California.  The distinctive lettering and the exclusive use of redwood are signatures of this folk art form.  In our tenure we have encountered at least 5 nearly identical examples, all dating from 1905 to 1920.  If anyone can shed more light on their origin, we would be very interested to learn of it.


image
back

Order Info


 


17.23  PASSENGER SHIP BUNK LAMP.  Extremely heavy, very highest quality passenger’s cabin bunk lamp coming from the well known English passenger liner SS ARCADIA.  This lovely lamp is done in an Art Deco style with thick cast brass components mounted to quarter sawn oak supports.  A unique hinged back allows the lamp to be rotated upward while a spring loaded brass cover opens and closes the light source.  The lamp is activated by a brass toggle switch on the left and has been electrified using modern UL components.  The 25 watt bulb is of the English 2-prong type.  9 ¼ inches wide, 4 inches high and projects 4 3/8 inches from the bulkhead.  A scarce relic from the era of passenger steam in beautifully preserved and functional condition.  295

This offering comes complete with a large, original, promotional print actually removed from the ship, worth several dollars in its own right.  In addition, a factory new spare bulb is also included.   


perspective
open
lamp

Order Info

 


 



17.34 POSTER FRAGMENTS. Authentic early 1930's advertising poster for the "Compagnie Generale Transatlantique" touting their famous liners the ILE de FRANCE, the FRANCE, and the PARIS. These two parts of one larger poster were found sealed behind yet another later steamship poster as backing material and have not seen the light of day in over 60 years! They are perfect! The only problem is that they have been cut! Nevertheless, they are wonderful, identifiable examples of the lithographer's art, of the art deco period, and pre-date the famous liner NORMANDIE . Over $2,000 if in tact! 49 for the two!



Order Info

 


 


17.16  LINER SAUCERS.   Matched set of 4 saucers used aboard a ship from the “PORT LINE” as identified on a handsome banner on each.  These are hard fired vitreous china dishes, three of which are marked on the reverse “Vitrilain” Enoch Wedgewood (Tunstall) Ltd. England Trademark” with a unicorn.  The fourth is marked “GRINDLEY, England, Hercules, Vitrified,” flanked by the numbers “4” and “9,” presumably the date 1949.  5 ½ inches in diameter.   All are in perfect original condition.  85/set


HERCULES
TRADE MARK

PORT LINE

 

Order Info


 


17.41  LOT, OCEAN LINER POSTCARDS.  Collection of 8 original early 1900’s postcards depicting passenger ships from the age of steam.  They include S.S. PRESIDENT HARDING, C.P.R.S.S. PRINCESS VICTORIA, Matson Liners in Sydney, R.M.S. EMPRESS of JAPAN, S.S. HOMERIC, S.S. TALAMANCA, R.M.S. QUEEN MARY, and S.S. BRAZIL.  Four are franked bearing post marks from 1911 to 1951.  All are in good condition with no losses, creases or tears.  Standard size, 3 5/8 by 5 5/8.   29 / all


detail

Order Info

 



17.21   LINER SILVERWARE.  Lot of three passenger liner spoons marked “Moore- McCormack Lines” on the backs of the handles and further marked “International Silver Co.” on the stems.  Bargain priced.  All three for one money.  15


back
marks


Order Info



17.19  FAMOUS LINER STATEROOM MIRROR.  Original passenger stateroom mirror retrieved from the “A Deck” of the British liner S.S. NEVASA.    This handsome liner relic consists of a heavy beveled glass mirror with arched top set in a solid mahogany frame.  The back is neatly covered with pine, inset with three solid brass hanging brackets, one on the top and two on the bottom.  It measures 21 inches tall overall by 12 ¼ inches wide.  Excellent original condition showing expected signs of exposure to sea air.  Unusually heavy for its size.  395

SS NEVASA, also known as HMT NEVASA, was a British troopship built on the River Clyde by Barclay Curle & Company in 1955 and launched on November 30, 1955. The ship was the first troopship built since the end of the Second World War, and at 609.3 feet in length, with a breadth of 78.3 feet, a draft of 26.7 feet, displacing 20,527 tons, was the largest troopship up to that time built in the United Kingdom.

The NEVASA could accommodate 500 officers and their families and 1,000 NCOs and men on the troop deck. The ship transported many regiments to the Middle East and Far East including the 1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) who left Southampton on 7 April 1962 and arrived at Penang  on 28 April 1962 via Port Said, including a stop in Malta.  The end of National Service requirements led to the Britain's decision in 1962 to reduce the use of ships for transporting troops and increase the use of aircraft. As a result NEVASA was withdrawn from service.

The ship was laid up in the River Fal from October 1962 to 1965 when it became an educational cruise ship. The Oil Crisis of 1973/74 led to the ship's final cruise in December 1974.

The SS NEVASA's final journey was from Malta to Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped in June 1975.  We were stationed in Kaohsiung at the time and were fortunate enough to go on board the NEVASA prior to her being broken up.  At that time, we personally removed this mirror, amongst other items, from one of the ship’s staterooms on “A Deck.”


BACK
SHIP

Order Info

 



17.17    LINER BLANKET.   Early, very heavy wool bunk blanket with the swallow tail ship’s  house flag “D-S” appearing 8 times on  blue stripes, top and bottom,  on a gray field.   Both ends of the blanket are reinforced with heavy hand-sewn woolen thread.  This thick blanket measure 40 x 64 inches and is in good condition, noting a darkened fold down the middle which could  probably removed with cleaning.  79


Order Info

Back to Top

 



 


17.15  EARLY LINER COMMEMORATIVE.  Exquisitely-carved late 19th century China trade ship memento in the form of a life preserver frame.  This scarce example bears painted raised letters reading “R.M.S. `TARTAR’ CHINA-JAPAN 1899.”  It is flanked on the left by the house flag of the Canadian-Pacific Line and on the right by the British ensign.  The inside of the ring has a very intricate rope-carved border encircling delicate floral vines with amazing detail backed by tiny stippling.  In its center is the oval-framed period photograph under the original old wavy glass of the ship’s captain standing on the wooden deck next to the mainmast.  The reverse of this presentation has its original backing and is signed by the carver in two places with a single character mark – one in pencil and the other painted.  11 inches in diameter and in virtually perfect original old condition.  499

The steam/sail passenger liner christened RMS TARTAR was launched by Aitken & Mansel Whiteinch in Glasgow, Scotland on January 25, 1883.  Hull number 116, she was a square-rigged iron hull vessel of 4339 tons, 377 feet in length with a breadth of 47 feet.  Owned and operated by the Union Steamship Company as the Royal Mail Steamship TARTAR, she was sold to the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company in 1897.  On October 17, 1907 TARTAR went aground at English Bay, British Columbia after colliding with the SS CHARMER and was scrapped at Osaka, Japan in March of the following year.


LEFT DETAIL
DETAIL
RIGHT DETAIL

BACK
SIGNATURE


Order Info




17.13

 

17.13 OCEAN LINER MODEL. Period miniature commemorative of the famous ocean going liner the RMS QUEEN MARY. This detailed model is faithfully cast out of metal in high relief depicting the major details of the ship including funnels, ventilators, deck equipment and lifeboats. In was then hand painted in red, white and black to accentuate those details. It is mounted on a solid hardwood plinth bearing the engraved presentation plaque reading “QUEEN MARY Compliments of El Monte Iron & Metal, Inc.” The entire presentation measures nearly 1 foot long by 3 inches wide. The ship itself measures just over 10 inches long. Excellent original condition. A very nice presentation for desk or library shelf179

Construction of the ship known only as "Yard Number 534", began on December 19, 1930 by the John Brown Shipbuilding Company in Clydebank, Scotland. Under ownership of the Cunard Lines the ship was ultimately launched 3 ½ years later with the name QUEEN MARY on September 26,1934. Named after Queen Mary, the consort of King George V, her name was a closely guarded secret up until her launch.

RMS QUEEN MARY sailed on her maiden voyage from Southampton on May 27, 1936. In August of that year she captured the Blue Riband for Atlantic crossings from her rival the lovely French liner NORMANDIE, with average speeds of 30.1 knots westbound and 30.6 knots eastbound. She retained the prize until 1952 when the SS UNITED STATES surpassed those speeds.

Early in September 1939 QUEEN MARY steamed out of Southampton for New York. But by the time she arrived war in Europe had erupted and she was ordered to remain in port until further notice alongside the NORMANDIE. In 1940 QUEEN MARY and NORMANDIE were joined by QUEEN MARY’s new sister ship, QUEEN ELIZBETH, fresh from her secret dash from the Clydebank. There, the three largest liners in the world sat idle for some time until the Allied commanders decided that they should be used as troopships.

QUEEN MARY departed for Sydney, Australia where she and several other liners were converted into troopships. Eventually joined by QUEEN ELIZABETH, they were the largest and fastest troopships involved in the war, often carrying as many as 15,000 men on a single voyage.

On October 2, 1942, QUEEN MARY sank one of her escorts, cutting through the light cruiser HMS CURACOA off the Irish coast. Due to the ever present threat of U-Boat attacks, her captain was under strict orders not to stop for any reason. So the remaining Naval escorts in company were ordered to rescue survivors. As a result the accident cost 338 lives.

During the war, the QUEEN MARY carried British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill several times. On those voyages the Prime Minister insisted on having his lifeboat equipped with a machine gun in order to "resist capture at all costs".

After the war QUEEN MARY was refitted for passenger service, which she resumed in 1947. QUEEN MARY and QUEEN ELIZABETH continued to dominate the transatlantic passenger trade well into the 1950s. But when transatlantic passenger jet service began in 1958 the golden era of the “Cunard Queens” came to an end. Beset by age, inefficiency and public apathy, Cunard was finally forced to remove the grand liners from service. QUEEN MARY was retired in 1967 and QUEEN ELIZABETH was withdrawn in 1968. Ultimately the city of Long Beach, California outbid Japanese scrap merchants and QUEEN MARY was saved. Hoping for a similar fate a team of investors purchased QUEEN ELIZABETH for an attraction in Port Everglades, Florida. However the venture did not work out and she was sold to a Hong Kong businessman. Unfortunately before she could be fully restored she caught fire and sank in 1972.


17.13
17.13
PERSPECTIVE
DETAIL

Order Info

 


 

17.62

 

17.62   CRUISE BOOKLET.   Original mid-1900’s booklet provided to passengers of the S.S. OCEAN MONARCH of the Furness Lines.  This cruise memento is bound in faux leather and opens to the tile page depicting the OCEAN MONARCH steaming in New York Harbor with the Statue of Liberty in the background.  It states ‘S.S. OCEAN MONARCH Length 509 ft. Breadth 72 ft. Speed 20 knots, 15,000 Tons Gross, Six Passenger Decks.”  The booklet is then divided into sections with tabs marked “ITENERARY, PEOPLE, RECORDS, PHOTOGRAPHS.”  Unmarked except for a single page.  4 ½ by 5 ¼ inches.  Outstanding original condition.  29


17.62
OPEN


Order Info


 

17.83

 

17.83 FAMOUS SHIP'S LIFERING. Authentic ship's life ring from one of the most famous passenger liners in history, the French Line's SS LIBERTÉ as boldly stenciled on the top front. This classic lifering is of standard old world construction having a solid cork core overlaid by heavy hand-stitched sail canvas and rimmed with a hemp rope grab line. The back of the ring is stamped "Bouee 75 Liege Homologation 55 ES Anciens Etd., Labbe, Nantse." 29 inches in diameter. Excellent original condition showing a few scuff marks and a couple of small holes in the fabric, as expected.  SOLD

The SS EUROPA (renamed SS LIBERTÉ ) was one of two fast ocean liners built by Blohm & Voss shipyard, Hamburg, Germany in the late 1920's for the Norddeutscher Lloyd Line (NDL) to ply the transatlantic passenger service. EUROPA was launched August 1, 1928 and made her maiden voyage to New York on March 19, 1930. She was a vessel of 936.7 feet in length displacing 49,746 gross tons. Her four steam turbines generated 105,000 shaft horse power propelling her to a speed of 27 1/2 knots. She had a passenger capacity of 860 first class, 500 second class, 305 tourist class, 617 third class and a total crew of 965.

During the early years of World War II EUROPA, in German hands, was largely inactive. She was captured by the Allies in 1944 and subsequently pressed into service as a troopship. After the war she was turned over to the French as a reparation of war. In 1946, while being refitted for passenger service in Le Harve, France, she snapped her moorings during a storm, drifted into the wreck of the PARIS and sank. She was refloated and work continued. In 1950 she made her maiden voyage to New York under her new name, SS LIBERTÉ. After nearly 10 years of service she was finally retired in 1958, laid up in 1961 and scrapped in 1962.


17.83
17.83
17.83
DETAIL
MAKER
SHIP

17.29 EARLY LINER TRADE CARD. Rare, second half of the 19th century ocean liner trade card advertising the "Royal and United States Mail Steamers WHITE STAR LINE" as printed on banners surrounding a large 4-masted steam/sail ship with two funnels. This beautifully chronomlithographed advertising flier is printed on a heavy stock card measuring 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches. The reverse is printed with much information extolling the virtues of the company's fleet, entitled in part: "The Splendid Steamers of the WHITE STAR LINE Sailing Weekly Between Liverpool and New York, Are all, without exception among the largest and fastest of Ocean Steamers..." Card is in excellent condition noting some toning to the back and just a tiny loss on one corner. 149

This rare card was issued more than a quarter century before the appearance of the most famous liner in the White Star fleet -- indeed the most famous liner of all time -- the RMS TITANIC!

REVERSE

Order Info


 

17.94 FAMOUS OCEAN LINER KEYCHAIN. Lovely, original high relief keychain struck in the form of a silvered bronze medal to commemorate the "LIBERTÉ" as embossed on the obverse. The medal depicts a port quarter view of the magnificent liner above which is written "Compagnie Général Transatlantic." Below the vessel name is written, "LeHarve, New York, French Line." The reverse bears the lovely semi-nude depiction of Liberty, having broken the bonds of chains. She stands in a conch shell flanked by stylized dolphins on either side. The medal is attached to a chain and locking clip for holding keys. The rim of the medal is hallmarked and it measures 1 1/4 inch in diameter. The overall size of the keychain is 3 inches. Excellent condition showing wear from actual use. 95

REVERSE
LIBERTY
SHIP
SHIP

Order Info


17.92 GLASS ASHTRAY. Thick molded glass ashtray with the boldly stenciled name "CUNARD" on the bottom. 6 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inches thick. Perfect condition. 59

The famous Cunard Line can trace its history all the way back to 1838 when shipping magnate Samual Cunard and others formed the British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. Cunard faced many competitors from Britain, France, the United States and Germany, but survived them all. This was mainly due to a great focus on safety. Cunard ships were not the largest nor the fastest but they earned a reputation for being the most reliable and the safest. The prosperous company eventually absorbed Cunard's principal competitor, the White Star Line, owners of the ill-fated RMS TITANIC and the HMHS BRITANNIC.

For more than a century and a half, Cunard dominated the Atlantic passenger trade and was one of the world's most important companies, with the majority of their liners being built at the John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank, Scotland. Today the Line still operates two classic passenger liners the RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH II and the RMS QUEEN MARY II.

Order Info

17.87 PORCELAIN ASHTRAY. Hard fired porcelain ashtry bearing the logo NAC (Norwegain-American Cruise Lines). This diminutive ashtray has 18 raised nibs on its periphery to hold cigarettes. The bottom is signed and dated "Porsgrund, Norway 1980" with an anchor. 3 12/ inches in diameter. Perfect condition. 39

The company was founded as Norwegian Caribbean Lines in 1966 by Knut Kloster and Ted Arison with just one 830-ton cruise ship offering low cost Carribean cruises. Arison soon left to form Carnival Cruise Lines, while Kloster acquired additional ships for Caribbean service. NCL pioneered many firsts in the cruise industry and was responsible for many of the cruise innovations that have now become standard throughout the industry.

NCL made headlines with the acquisition of the FRANCE in 1979, rebuilding the liner as a cruise ship and renaming her NORWAY. At that time the NORWAY was significantly bigger than any other cruise ship, and exploited the extra space available by adding a large variety of onboard entertainment. Her success paved the way for a new era of giant cruise ships.

BOTTOM

Order Info


17.85 IDENTIFIED LINER ASHTRAY. Heavy cast glass ocean liner ashtray bearing the charming logo of King Neptune with his long, flowing beard and trident above the script, "Matson Lines's". Surrounding Neptune are the names of the famous liners, "MATSONIA, MARIPOSA, MONTEREY, and LURLINE." 3 1/2 inches across. Perfect condition. 59

Matson Navigation Company's long association with Hawaii began in 1882, when Captain William Matson sailed his three-masted cargo schooner EMMA CLAUDINA from San Francisco to Hilo, Hawaii. Increased commerce brought a corresponding interest in Hawaii as a tourist attraction. Captain Matson expanded his fleet and by 1908 established passenger service to and from the mainland. The decade from the mid-20s to mid-30s marked a significant period of Matson expansion. In 1925, the Company established Matson Terminals, Inc., a subsidiary to perform stevedoring and terminal services for its fleet. With increasing passenger traffic to Hawaii, Matson added the S.S. MALOLO in 1927. Its success led to the construction of the liners MARIPOSA, MONTEREY and LURLINE between 1930 and 1932.

Immediately after the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the passenger liners MARIPOSA, MATSONIA, MONTEREY and LURLINE, and 33 Matson freighters were called into military service. The four passenger liners completed a wartime total of 119 voyages, covered 1 1/2 million miles and carried a total of 736,000 troops.

By 1956, as with most of the other transoceanic passenger lines, Matson left the passenger transportation business in favor of ocean freight, specifically container ships. The company still operates today.

Order Info

17.70 CRUISE TROPHY. High quality, silverplate loving cup with applied, high relief brass emblem reading "Awarded on Holland-America Line Cruises" depicting the line's house flag. This handsome cruise memento is said to have come from the famous pre-War liner NIEUW AMSTERDAM. It stands 6 1/2 inches tall and slightly more than 5 1/2 inches wide. Excellent original condition. 195

The Nederlands-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart-Maatschappij, popularly known as the Holland-American Line, was founded in 1873 and based in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Neutral registry in World War I brought large profits to the company and it was in a position to expand. However American immigration restrictions following the War delayed construction of the company's flagship the NIEUW AMSTERDAM until 1938. When the Germans invaded Holland in May of 1940, they seized the OLENDAM while the STATEMDAM was destroyed in the fighting. The remainder of the company's fleet was chartered by the Allies for the war effort. The NIEUW AMESTERDAM in particular had a spectacular war career, performing troop carrying duties throughout the world until her triumphant return to her home port in April 1946.

Order Info


17.30 TRADE CARD. Finely engraved 19th century American advertising trade card for the "National Line Steamships" with the colorful depiction of the clipper bowed S.S. ENGLAND under sail, flanked by a rope border emblazoned with flags of the United States and Britain. The reverse boasts "National Line, Passenger Steamship comprising twelve of the largest Ocean Steam Ships belonging to one company in the Atlantic Service..." Much information including a listing of of "Passage Rates" for which 1st Class Excursion is $120! The front of the card is signed "Hatch Lith. Co., NY" and measures 3 1/2 x 6 inches. Good condition with toning to the reverse and minor staining. Circa 1885. 195

 

REVERSE

Order Info


 

7.47 REFERENCE BOOK. Frederick Emmons, "The Atlantic Liners," 1977, Bonanza Book, New York. 160 pages including an Index of Ships. This hardcover book with dust jacket covers the major liners of the world that plied the Atlantic from 1925 through 1970. It is organized by country, and then by Steamship company, with a history of each company given. The remainder of the book is dedicated to detailed information on the ships themselves. Each entry provides a line drawn profile view along with a paragraph on the ship's characteristics, service history, and ultimate fate. An invaluable research tool! 39

Order Info

 


 

 2.14  CRUISE MEMENTO MODEL.  Genuine passenger ship cruise trophy from the famous American President Lines cargo/passenger liner the "S. S. PRESIDENT CLEVELAND" as identified in embossed letters below the model of the ship. This good likeness is formed of heavy cast metal done with faithful detail. It is faced by an engraved brass plaque reading “ACHIEVEMENT” and flanked by the embossed inscription “ACHIEVEMENT.” Excellent overall condition with a good age patina. 8 1/2 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide. A very displayable and handsome authentic model.  99

The steam cargo/passenger ship SS PRESIDENT CLEVLAND was a P2 design ship built in 1947 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Alameda California, Hull No. 9509.  She had a length of 609 feet, a draft of 30 feet, displaced 23,404 tons and had a cruising speed of 20 knots.  Designed to carry 379 First Class passengers and 200 economy, she also boasted a cargo capacity of 193,984 cubic feet.  Homeported in San Francisco, the CLEVELAND along with her sister ship the PRESIDENT WILSON reestablished America’s preeminence in the passenger trade between the West Coast and the Orient.  But in 1973, with passenger liner service no longer profitable, American President Lines sold the ship.  It was scrapped a year later. 

BACK

Order Info


 

2.15 CRUISE MEMENTO MODEL.  Genuine passenger ship cruise trophy from the famous American President Lines cargo/passenger liner the "S. S. PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT" as identified in embossed letters below the model of the ship. This good likeness is formed of heavy cast metal done with faithful detail. It is faced by a brass plaque engraved "BRIDGE.". Excellent overall condition with good age patina and surface oxidation to the metal. 8 ½ inches long by 2 ½ inches wide. A very displayable and handsome authentic model. 99

Originally built in 1944 as the 18,920 ton Hawaiian Steamship Company's LEILANI the ship was purchased by the American President Lines in 1960 and renamed S.S. PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT. After an extensive refit in Seattle, the ship began service between the West Coast of the U.S and the Orient. Sold in 1970.
  
BACK

Order Info

Back to Top